Monday, February 13, 2012

The Chiropracter Battle

Around the first of the year I got a phone call from my mom saying she had pre-paid for me to go see a chiropractor. My mom called some of my dad's old military buddies to get recommendations for a chiropractor down here. and 3 of the 4 contacts suggested this place. She's the sole chiropractor of a little practice in the small downtown area here.

As of today, I've been seeing her for a little over 6 weeks. I really like her (as a person) she's so down to earth, very "crunchy" (naturalpathic type), very open and honest. I've felt very welcome and comfortable with her from the very beginning.

I called my mom after the first appointment almost in tears. The doc had told me that the first time was normally the most "shocking", but i had no idea what I was getting into. The doctor adjusted me manually and then used the "adjuster" on my shoulders and spine. I was just not prepared mentally for that type of adjustment. The only time I've ever seen a chiropractor was when I threw my back out in high school. Even then, the chiropractor only used the 'adjuster' on me. So the whole manual manipulation was so new to me. 

I've seen here 6 times now. The 3rd time i went and saw her I was having a semi-bad headache day. She manually adjusted my neck to the right manually and oh.my.god. did it hurt. It was a huge pop and it was fairly painful even though it did come with a 'relief' feeling. Ever since then she has not been able to get my neck to adjust manually. She can get a slight pop sometimes on the left, but it is not going well so well. 

I know that a lot of people told me that chiropractic would be a good thing to do or look into when it came to my headaches, but I just don't know. I don't see a serious improvement in my headaches. They do seem slightly less infrequent for a while, but then they'll kick back up again. 

Someone smart told me recently that Chiropractors are not supposed to adjust you manually and it can actually make your headaches worse. I go into see another new doctor (how many is that now?) on Friday. I'll discuss with him what the chiropractor has been doing. I need to go in and talk to him about my prescriptions and to see if what we're doing (medication wise) is still working out, or do we need to re-think the meds?

I'm just frustrated, a little scared, and tired of being in pain.


Photobucket

0 comments:

 
;