Wednesday, July 18, 2012

I hurt myself... again. (Part I)

So last Thursday I had a hangnail on my left index finger.

Friday I woke up and my finger was huge!

I showed B and we thought it was just a spider bite. I normally have bad BAD reactions to bug bites, and I do get bit a LOT. I thought nothing of the hang nail.

So, I took Ibuprofen and benadryl and on Saturday it seemed to be getting better.

Monday I woke up and my finger had doubled in size from Friday and was SO painful. It was now red and warm with a little white patch near the nail bed. The swelling had now moved down to my whole finger and across the knuckles. I took my wedding ring off because I was worried about the sudden swelling.
I took benadryl and ibuprofen again just in case. I showed B when he got up (hes been working nights). He told me it looked infected and to call the doc in the morning.

So I did.
I called at 8 talked to the tech, who took notes and told me there were no open appointments and to stay by the phone cause the nurse would be calling me soon.
At 1045 the nurse called, asked more questions and told me there was an opening at 1520 with Dr.C (he's the mean doc I have talked about before dealing with my migraines). I said sure, I'm just desperate for relief.

I go in and wait....
1540 I finally go back to the room.
P.S. there was NO ONE in the waiting room.
1600 the doc finally comes in.

He looks at my finger and says, "Yeah, It looks infected [really, dude. no shit]. I don't think it needs to be drained yet, but we should [what?]. Okay, I'll be right back." and leaves.

1610 he comes back in and says he had to finish with the patient across the hall and would be right back
1613 the nurse comes back in starts loading the tray with sterile pads, scalpels, band-aids, etc. [wtf!]
1620 he comes back in and says to me, "Well, I don't really want to take the time to numb your finger fully [yup, he said that], so we only have the topical spray. Or we can just try to soak it more often and try to press it with a q-tip to open it!"

Needless to say, I went with option B.
He prescribes antibiotics and Motrin. The Doc said "if that doesn't stop the pain, call and we'll adjust it".

So, I'll call (again) in the morning. this sucks.

Part 2 coming soon...